After a long delay, it feels like summer has finally arrived! Looking for something to do when you’re not at a lake or campsite enjoying the sunshine? We’ve worked with Tourism Prince George to put together a list of events in August to keep you entertained.
KidzArt Dayz in the Community!
KidzArt Dayz is still happening, although in a different format than the usual two-day event. This event will be held throughout August and consist of a series of physically distanced activities hosted by local artists and supported by Two Rivers Gallery with funding from the City of Prince George and the Government of Canada.
Enjoy the following activities and follow Two Rivers Gallery Facebook page and Instagram feed to watch for more:
- At Play – Close to Home: Join Frances Gobbi for a playful exploration and celebration of the fun and beauty around us! Using your own play figurine, go on an adventure and document its adventures. Add your pictures to the At Play: Close to Home collection by following @francesgobbi on Instagram and tagging your photos with #atplayclosetohome
- Spores of Joy – Community Scavenger Hunt: Visit the website for Sebastian Nicholson’s Spores of Joy, open hidden treasure maps for Prince George, then head outside to find the joy! Starting August 21, you can find 26 installations of painted, artificial tree fungi around the city. Share your photos of your fungi finds on Instagram using #sporesofjoy
- Artist Trading Card Swap: From August 1-21, pick up a blank card from Two Rivers Gallery or use materials you have at home to make a miniature piece of art. Bring your card or artwork back to the Gallery from August 25-28 to swap it for one made by two local artists.
- From Green to Blue – A Biomorphic City: Stop by the Two Rivers Gallery to pick up a blank “biomorphic structure” outline created by Linda Abbott. Take it home and use watercolour paints to decorate it before bringing it back to the Gallery to be included in a large painting. Return at the end of August to see the completed artwork.
- A Hole in the North: Watch Two River’s Gallery social media for images of the Gallery’s Wild Side Studio being transformed by artist Theresa Sapergia into a mural using vinyl components.
Pound the Park!
Missing attending Pound classes at your gym? Attend a FREE Pound in the Park session with Pound PG at Lheidli T’enneh Memorial Park. Bring a towel or yoga mat to the band shell and get ready to let loose, get energized, tone up, and rock out!
Date: August 8
Location: Lheidli T’enneh Memorial Park
The Climb for Cancer is back on. Will you be stepping up?
The Climb for Cancer has been re-imagined and is now happening over four days in August. Register yourself or a team at www.climbforcancerpg.ca and a Planning Committee member will contact you to schedule a date and time for you to climb the cutbanks. As soon as you’ve registered, you can start raising money in support of the Kordyban Lodge, which provides an affordable home-away-from home for cancer patients receiving treatment in Prince George. Make sure to bring lots of water and snacks the day of your climb!
Dates: August 8, 9, 15, and 16
Location: Cutbanks along Prince George Pulpmill Road
Spend a Saturday at a Farmers’ Market
Have you been craving fresh locally produced veggies and fruits, baked goods, and meat? You’re in luck as the Prince George Farmers’ Market and the Wilson Square Community Farmers’ Market are running throughout August. A number of safety measures are in effect and the number of patrons on site are limited to 50 at a time to continue curbing the spread of COVID-19.
Date: August 8, 15, 22, 29 from 8:30 am – 2:00 pm
Location: The corner of 3rd Avenue and Quebec Street and outside the Courthouse
Liv-Evolve Ladies Poker Ride
Calling all female riders! Head to the Caledonia Nordic Centre for a fun evening of riding and test your luck on a poker hand. This event will be contactless and socially distanced. You’re welcome to ride solo or with friends. The bonus is there are lots of prizes to be won!
Date: August 10
Location: Caledonia Nordic Centre
Yoga in the Orchard
Join Rachelle from Sunset Studios as she guides you through a 1-hour Yoga practice by the riverside orchard at the Northern Lights Estate Winery. Attendees must bring their own yoga mat and follow physical distancing markers. Attendance is limited so pre-booking is encouraged.
Dates: Mondays, August 10, 17, 24, 31
Location: Northern Lights Estate Winery
Summer mini markets
The Hart Mall Marketplace is hosting two mini markets in August. Head to the mall to browse and buy a variety of favourite locally made treats and produce.
Dates: August 15 and 29
Location: Hart Mall
Family Fun Day at the Central BC Railway and Forestry Museum
The Central BC Railway and Forestry Museum has re-opened just in time to host its annual Family Fun Day. The day promises to be a lot of fun with a scavenger hunt, self-led games and activities, and demonstrations by the museum’s blacksmith. People are welcome to bring their own picnic and enjoy a movie theatre that will be set-up along with fresh popcorn and lemonade available by donation. All activities will be physically distanced and sanitization stations will be set-up throughout the park. The Cottonwood Minirail Train won’t be operating during Family Fun Day or until physical distancing regulations are lifted.
Dates: August 22 from 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
Location: Central BC Railway and Forestry Museum
Sherlock Saturday at Huble Homestead
Calling all amateur sleuths! Put your basic investigatory skills to the test at the homestead by taking part in this fun and inexpensive activity. Choose the easier version for a pressure-free puzzle experience, or challenge yourselves to the advanced option! This event is self-guided and you have the whole day to finish. Staff will be available to give hints and pointers.
Date: August 29 from 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
Location: Huble Homestead
Enjoy a night at the Park Drive-In Theatre
The Park Drive-In Theatre is open for the summer season! After making some operational adjustments, you can now enjoy a night out from the safety of your own vehicles. Movies change nightly and run Thursday – Sunday.
Dates: Thursday – Sunday, August 2020
Location: Park Drive-In Theatre
Watch for event guides to be posted on the Move Up Prince George and Tourism Prince George blogs the first Wednesday of every month during 2020! Have a virtual or small in-person event you want us to share? Email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.