The festive season is getting into full swing and it’s almost time to say goodbye to another year and welcome a new one. Here’s our monthly event wrap up we put together in partnership with Tourism Prince George to give you some ideas for how to enjoy December and ring in 2020.
Bundle up and enjoy colourful light displays
There’s nothing like colourful lights to get you in the holiday spirit, and lucky for those of us who live in Prince George, there are several displays happening in December. So put on your puffiest jacket and warmest toque and mitts, grab your family and friends, and head to one or all of these displays.
- Candy Cane Lane: This lights display is a labour of love for the people who spend countless hours decorating their homes to bring Candy Cane Lane to life every holiday season. Head to McKenzie Avenue and drive or walk around the neighbourhood to enjoy the cheerfully decorated houses. Make sure to dress warmly and bring a thermos of hot chocolate!
- Celebration of Lights: You don’t want to miss this lights display happening from December 18th – 24th. With over 100,000 lights, the Central BC Railway and Forestry Museum transforms into a true winter wonderland during the Celebration of Lights. Enjoy a walk through the displays or hop on the Cottonwood Minirail Express to explore the 8-acre park and make sure to check out the Christmas Village. Feeling chilly? Warm up with some hot chocolate and snacks by the bonfires.
- Light Up the Orchard: Enjoy a family friendly walking tour of a stunning lights display at the Northern Light’s Estate Winery’s orchards until December 23rd. Kids can enjoy a free hot chocolate and adults get a $3 discount on a bottle of wine. Admission to Light up the Orchard is $5.
This seasonal favourite is back and ready to entertain the whole family. Judy Russell Presents is once again bringing you The Nutcracker ballet featuring the Prince George Symphony Orchestra. Treat your family to this beloved local tradition this holiday season.
Date: December 19-22, 2019
Location: Vanier Hall
Watch a Spruce Kings or Cougars game
Need a break from all of the lights, cookies, hot chocolate, shopping, and festivities? Head to a Spruce Kings or Cougars game for some good ‘ol fashioned hockey entertainment. The holidays will still be there to enjoy when the game is over!
Location: Rolling Mix Concrete Arena and CN Centre
New Year’s Eve
It’s hard to believe 2019 is almost over. We’re sure more New Year’s Eve celebration events will pop-up throughout December, but for now, here are a few options for you to consider when deciding how to ring in the New Year.
- Coldwater New Year 2020
- New Year’s Eve Dinner at Northern Lights
- New Year’s Eve Dinner & Dance
- New Year’s Eve and all that Jazz
- New Year’s Eve with Studio 720
- New Year’s Eve at the Tavern
- Roarin’ 2020s New Years Party!
- Secret New Year
For more events happening in December, make sure to follow the City of Prince George and Tourism Prince George event calendars. Watch for monthly event guides to be posted on the Move Up Prince George and Tourism Prince George blogs the first Wednesday of every month during 2019! Have an event you want us to share? Email social[At]tourismpg[Dot]com and info[At]moveupprincegeorge[Dot]ca.