I love having summer to spend more time with my kids out of school. However (like many parents), I also love the routine that comes with the arrival of a new school year, and the beginning of a new fall season. I’m reaching my three year anniversary of living in Prince George. I remember moving to town this time of year, and thinking how beautiful the changing leaves and sunsets were — and the excitement and anticipation of settling into life in a new city. Here’s some resources and ideas to help kickstart your September!
Extracurricular activities for kids
This city has so many great options for kids of all ages. Registration fills up fast in some cases, but many places take waitlists, or registration later in the school year if you missed the boat. A few programs worth checking out include:
- Rock climbing at Overhang: Offering a new parent and tot program and youth programs starting from ages three and older.
- CrossFit Northern Ice Kid’s Programs: A great way for kiddos to burn off some energy, make friends, and learn some new skills. Ranging from pre-school age through teens.
- Swim lessons at the Aquatic Centre: A great learning activity for kids. I can’t wait for the new pool to open!
- Dance lessons through one of the many dance studios: Judy Russell’s Enchainment Dance Centre, Excalibur Theatre Arts Co., Dance Your HART Out, to name a few.
- Music lessons: With some of the amazing teachers at the Prince George Conservatory of Music, through Long and McQuade, or a private instructor.
- Strong Start: A great free drop-in program for pre-k littles ones, offered through School District 57. Check out the website for information and locations throughout the city.
Shop ’til you drop
View this post on Instagram
Kids grow like weeds! If you’re looking to purge last years outgrown fall clothing, consider consigning with Mini Moose Consignment. This couple team will take care of selling your items, and even offer a pickup service of your unwanted stuff! Their well organized website has lots of items for purchase at a great price as well.
Everything Baby will get you set up with some great quality lunch kits, clothes from baby and up, footwear etc. Definitely a great shop worth checking out.
Whether your into back to school shopping from one of the many thrift stores around town, or a franchise kids clothing store at the mall, this town has you covered. I love the cute clothes from One Boardshop, or support a local designer/business at Back Forty Lifestyle Co. and pick up one of their awesome kids shirts (not shown online but available in store).
Fuelling up or winding down
En route for school drop-offs, heading to work or maybe winding down in the evening? Downtown Prince George has some great coffee shops worth checking out. My faves are Ritual Coffeeworks, Zoe’s Java House, and The Makerie.
Post work beer or evening brew and an appy? Be sure to check out Deadfall Brewery, opening soon! PG has a few other awesome breweries like Trench, CrossRoads and Pacific Western Brewing. So relieved to now be able to meet friends out and about around the city.
Sweet tooth? This fellow blogger covers a full list of donut shops around the city. I’m yet to checkout Daydream Donuts Café, but have heard a lot of great things about it (and it’s donuts that sell out!) since opening earlier this year. The Pastry Chef is a fabulous bakery downtown with breads, buns, cakes, coffee, and an incredible selection of pastries and treats.
Need a break from cooking dinner, or need a nice dinner in a pinch? Farmhouse Catering Company provides freezer meals for pickup or delivery. Almost all are only fifteen-dollars each. Their website provides an extensive menu of other options including date night picnics and brunch packages. I wonder if my husband would believe me if I said I cooked it myself?
I can easily say that fall is my most favourite time of year in and around Prince George. Slowing down after a busy summer, enjoying beautiful fall walks/hikes, settling into routine, and enjoying what the city has to offer. Whether you’re a new student to the city for university/college, parents preparing for the chaos that is the beginning of the school year, and everyone in between — wishing you a wonderful autumn season!